top of page
Investigating the Development of Faversham Town Centre
This project explores the area between Newton Road (constructed around 1900), and Preston Street that runs parallel to it. Preston Street was the main route, for many centuries, to the town centre from Watling Street / Preston. Prior to 1900, the area behind the Preston St properties was mostly orchard or hops gardens. The existence of hop gardens on Jacobs Map (1760-1774) suggested that medieval urban development had probably not taken place in this area and therefore, it might be possible to find evidence of earlier Anglo-Saxon occupation at an accessible depth.
KP139, KP140, KP142, KP143, KP145 15 Preston Street, 52B Newton Road, 42 Newton Road, 48B Newton Road & 44 Newton Road, Faversham
bottom of page